European Research Council (ERC) was established at 2007 during FP7 to fund European frontier research. The only criteria for ERC funding is scientific excellence and all decisions are made by scientists for scientists.
- ERC funds one Principal Investigator leading a team of researchers (no need for partners)
- ERC funds any field of research (Life Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Social Sciences and Humanities)
- ERC funds ground breaking, high risk-high gain projects that normally cannot be funded by national funding agencies
- The host institution, where the principal investigator will do his/her research, must be established in an EU Member State or Associated Country like Turkey
- The principal Investigator should spend a minimum of 50% of their total working time in an EU Member State or Associated Country like Turkey
ERC offers three different funding opportunities for the researchers depending on the date that they have earned their PhD degree:
ERC also offers additional funding only for ERC Grantees:
For 2017 ERC Calls
There are certain conditions where you can extend the window of eligibility:
- Maternity (the effective elapsed time since the award of the first PhD will be considered reduced by 18 months or if longer by the documented amount of leave actually taken for each child born before or after the PhD award)
- Long-term illness, clinical training or national service (as long as it can be documented and it is after the PhD award)
Calendar for 2017 Calls
Starting, Consolidator and Advanced Grant calls open once a year. Proof of Concept calls open once a year and close on three cut-off dates. Every year the calls open/close at very similar dates. The application can only be done when the call is open, however we suggest that the researchers start their preparation early on. Taking into account the re-application rules and the eligibility rules of ERC, it is possible to prepare a proposal for the following years and get support from TÜBİTAK ERC Principle Investigator Advancement Programme.
For more information please visit official ERC website.
Total Budget of the Programme: 13.1 Billion Euro